The philosophy of the Postgraduate Programmes in Economics in ESUT is built on intellectual leadership and the preparedness to confront modern economic challenges. Hence each programme focuses on details of providing practical training geared towards the effective development of skills for applying economic principles in solving economic problems of Nigeria at national, state and local levels.
The objectives of the postgraduate programme in economic shall flow from the general objectives of the Faculty of the Social Sciences and award of qualifications of the programmes shall be governed by the University and faculty postgraduate studies regulations. The main objectives of the programmes are to develop highly competent and versatile professional economists through the provision of relevant academic and professional courses which are required in order to meet the development challenges of the Nigerian economy in the context of globalization. Specifically, the programmes are designed to rigorously train highly competent personnel for academic career and groom middle and top management personnel in the areas of energy and petroleum, manufacturing, industry, banking and finance.
The academic Master's Degree programme which confers a degree of Masters of Science (M.Sc), links directly to Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D) programmes and therefore provides the entry points for academic and research career in Economics. Thus, the Masters of Science Degree Programme (M.Sc) and the Doctor of philosophy Degree (Ph.D) programmes constitute the core of postgraduate programmes in Economics.
The criteria for admission into any Postgraduate Diploma programme in economics will be as follows:
- Candidates must have five credit passes including English and Mathematics at the O' level
- Candidates with Bachelors degree of not less than 3rd class honour degree from an approved University.
- Candidates with HND and/or professional qualifications cognate to Economics from a recognized institution with not less than upper credit.
Duration of the Programme
A full-time PGD programmes shall run for a minimum of two (2) semesters and a maximum of four (4) semesters. The part-time programme shall run for a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
The subject matter of political science involves the understanding of the character of the state and society and complex interactions among them. This includes understanding the nature of public power, the constitution and functioning of government, the roles of citizens in governance as well as the struggles for power and resources that accompany all these.
Political science training at the post-graduate level is designed to produce future researcher and teachers in the tertiary education system in Nigeria. The programme are also designed to respond to the needs of the Nigeria society for skilled manpower in diverse areas of public life including public administration, diplomacy, rural development and governance and to produce graduates who have the ability to drive the governance of the public and private sectors with specialized skills.
The objectives of any postgraduates degree programme in political science are to:
- Enable graduates to acquire skills and competence in diverse areas of political research.
- Train graduates to develop ability for critical thinking and judgments through broad knowledge of theoretical and practical issues in politics, administration and diplomacy.
- Train skilled manpower for educational institutions, public bureaucracy, private sector and international agencies.
- Enable graduates to acquire entrepreneurial skills that will make them successful in public life and to become self-employed.
- Produce graduates who are equipped with relevant ICT knowledge and skills that will assist them in future work in academia, public bureaucracy, private enterprises and international organizations.
Throughout the programme therefore, emphasis is placed on training in research techniques and the development of analytical skills that can be applied to solving socio-political problems
Nomenclatures for the postgraduate degree programme in political science are:
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
Master of Science (M.Sc)
Master of International Law and Diplomacy (MILD)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Postgraduate Diploma Programme (PGD)
Basic Admission Requirement for PGD Programme
The criteria for admission into the PGD program in political science will be as follows:
- Candidates must satisfy the matriculation requirement of the university including English language.
- A minimum of 3rd class bachelors degree in political science or a related discipline awarded by an approved and accredited university.
- HND and or professional qualification cognate to political science from a recognized institution with not less than upper credit.
Areas of Specialization
- The postgraduate diploma in political science should reflect areas of specialization in the discipline and candidates should specialize in their intended area of specialization for the Master's degree.
- A student's project topic must be in his/her intended area of specialization.
Duration of Programme
- Full-time PGD shall run for a minimum of two (2) semesters and a maximum of four (4) semesters.
- The Part-time shall run for a minimum of four (4) semesters and a maximum of six (6) semesters.
A candidate must have fulfilled the following conditions to be awarded any postgraduate diploma in political science.
The need for a postgraduate programme for the award of degrees of Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), Master of Science (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology arose from the demands to meet up with manpower development in Nigeria. It is considered that the postgraduate programme would enhance the knowledge and skills of graduates whose motivation to pursue psychology, as a career is high. It will also equip them with skills to cope with the various socio-psychological problems and rapid economic changes being faced in a technological growing country like Nigeria.
Philosophy and Objective
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD): This postgraduate programme is offered to give some opportunities to two categories of graduates. The first categories of students are those first degree holders in psychology who graduated with or without honours, but wish to continue to pursue their career as psychologists. The programme is expected to equip them and make them qualify for a more serious postgraduate work up to M.Sc./Ph.D. levels.
The second categories of people are those who did their first degree in other disciplines but wish to pursue a career in psychology probably for professional reasons. The programme is expected to provide solid background in psychology for such category of graduates.
- M.Sc./Ph.D.: This postgraduate programme for the award of degree of Master of Science (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in psychology has the following objectives:
- To offer a solid foundation for a career in professional psychology thus enabling the students to acquire the necessary expertise for their professional practice in various fields of specialization.
- To expose the students to advanced techniques, methods, principles, and philosophy of the study of human and animal behaviour, with emphasis on the interdependence of biological, psychological, environmental and socio-cultural determinants of behaviour.
- To enhance the student's ability to carry out independent investigations in psychology and in problems related to psychology, which should culminate in original contribution to basic and applied knowledge in psychology.
- To equip the students with advance knowledge and skills needed to deal effectively with various psychological problems resulting from rapid social, economic, and technological changes of our contemporary society.
Scope of the Study
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD): The scope of the programme covers all areas of the principles and applications of psychology. It includes cognitive processes, statistical and methodological issues, industrial and organizational psychology, developmental psychology, clinical psychology, social and personality psychology, environmental psychology, experimental psychology, school, health, and counselling psychology as well as theories and systems of psychology.
- M.Sc./Ph.D: The scope of the programme covers advanced topics in theoretical and applied psychology in various fields such as experimental, counselling, clinical, social, developmental, school psychology and industrial/organizational, and so on.
Basic Admission Requirements and Course Duration
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD)
- Candidates for Admission into PGD courses in psychology in all Nigerian Universities should possess good honours degrees and diplomas from recognized universities, and polytechnics in disciplines outside of psychology. Holders of Third Class Degrees in Psychology shall be considered. All candidates must satisfy university matriculation requirements for B.Sc Psychology which must include a credit pass in Mathematics, or Statistics, English Language and Biology.
- Graduates of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology or of other recognized universities, with or without honours degrees.
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) with credit pass or above in Biology or Health science, mathematics at WAEC or GCE or its equivalent.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than the above which are approved by the board of the school of postgraduate studies and senate of the university.
- Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Candidates for admission into M.Sc. Programme should posses at least a second Class Lower (2.2) Honours Degree in Psychology from recognized Universities with at least a CGPA of 3.00 on a 5 point scale.
- Candidates for admission should be graduates of Enugu State University of Science and Technology or of other universities recognized by senate. Such candidates should posses an approved degree of Bachelor of Science with at least second class honour or its equivalent in psychology.
- Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology of the ESUT or any other recognized university with at least a credit level pass.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
The candidate must have a good master's degree in the field of specialization from Enugu State University of Science and Technology or any other university recognized by the senate. A minimum of 4.00 final cumulative grade point average is required.
Mode of Study and Duration of Programme
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD): The course is designed for the re-tolling of those whose initial degrees were outside of psychology or whose first degrees in psychology were poor; but are interested in pursuing higher degrees in psychology. It runs for 2 semesters. Postgraduate Diploma programme is done by course work broken into two semesters with a minimum of 30 units and a maximum of 42 units to be taken in two semesters (minimum of 15 and maximum of 21 units per semester). Candidates shall be required to submit a dissertation in any field of choice in psychology. A candidate's admission shall normally lapse for the award of the degree after a maximum of two calendar years.
- Master of Science Programme
- The minimum duration for an M.Sc Programme in psychology shall be four semesters. The normal duration for the degree of Master of Science (M.Sc.) shall be two calendar years. A candidate's admission shall normally lapse for the award of the degree after a maximum of three calendar years.
- The programme shall comprise lectures and seminars. The degree shall be awarded on the basis of examinations on course work and project.
- A course unit is equivalent to three hours per week, or three hours of laboratory or practical class per week throughout a semester, or an equivalent amount of assigned study or a combination of these.
- For the award of the M.Sc. in psychology, a candidate is expected to pass a minimum of 36 course units, and 24 units should come from the compulsory courses.
- A student shall be required to register in his first semester, for a minimum of 9 units, and a maximum of 12 units. Also a student is allowed to register for courses outside his area of specialization in order to make up the required number of units.
- Candidates shall be required to complete 3 or 6 months internship where applicable.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
- The Ph.D psychology degree programme shall be assessed through a solid M.Sc. entry requirement of at least 30 units, and a CGPA of at least 4.00 on a 5 point scale and subsequent seminar presentations, plus a final thesis which shall be defended through a VIVA. All candidates most register as M.Sc/Ph.D students. Prospective PhD candidates shall be interviewed based on a 3-5 page proposal.
- The normal duration for Ph.D programme is a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years. Ph.D programme shall last for a minimum of six (6) semesters and a maximum of ten (10) semesters.
- There shall be a 2 semesters or one academic session of intensive cognate contract between the student and the Department, within which period the student must present at least 3 seminars to the Department/Faculty. These seminars shall be graded.
- The final thesis must be graded equally and shall carry a credit unit of 12. This shall be in addition to the 30 units the candidates earned at the M.Sc level; making a total of 42 credit units, to earn a Ph.D degree.
The Postgraduate Programme of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu is offered at three levels: Postgraduate Diploma, the Master's and Doctoral. Each level emphasizes research work to be presented in a project report. Independent research is considered particularly important.
Postgraduate Diploma is offered in Sociology.
At the Masters level, the Department offers three degrees: the M.Sc. (Sociology). M.Sc. (Anthropology) and M.Sc. (Community Development).
At the Doctoral level, the Department offers 3 degrees: Ph.D. (Sociology) Ph.D. (Anthropology) and Ph.D. Community Development.
The programme is designed to give students theoretical and research knowledge in the field of Sociology and Anthropology.
It is aimed at producing scholars and practitioners for high level career in teaching and research. The programme will enrich the students and enable them to have adequate knowledge of the society and contribute in the field of administration, industry, management and organization, community development (Urban and Rural) including teaching and research at the university, and to equip students with skills designed to solve specific and general societal problems.
The Postgraduate Programme in Sociology, Anthropology and Community Development aims at achieving the following objectives:
- To help students advance and make original contribution to knowledge, through research and seminars, in their selected areas of specialization within the fields of sociology. Anthropology and community development.
- To ensure that students utilize the opportunities offered by Nigeria's development experience to enrich their training and also make, contributions in the fields of administration, industry, management and organization, community development, (urban and rural) welfare work at all levels including with skill designed to solve specific societal problems.
- To make them dedicated pursuers of truth, wisdoms and knowledge in the services of this country and of humanity in general.
Entry Qualification and Method of Admission
- PostGraduate Diploma
- Graduates of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Enugu or other recognized Universities.
- In special cases, candidates may be admitted after fulfilling the following conditions:
- Passing such tests as may be prescribed by the Department/Faculty.
- Taking and passing such other pre-requisites or concurrent courses as may be prescribed by the Department/Faculty.
- The result of such tests and pre-requisites courses, which are designed to make up the candidate's background towards the proper study for the postgraduate Diploma, shall be lodged with the school of postgraduate studies.
- Candidates who hold qualification other than the above acceptable to the Departmental Board, the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University.
- Degree of Masters
- Graduates of Enugu State University of Science and Technology Enugu or of other recognized University who have obtained a good bachelors degree in relevant areas with at least second class honours. A first class or second class upper degree in Sociology/Anthropology or allied disciplines such as Psychology, Political Science, Economics etc. will be preferred.
- Candidates whose degrees are unclassified with 50% or above grade.
- A Candidate from oversea University, whose Master's grade point average, cannot be readily ascertained should be asked to get into master's degree programme. If at the end of the programme the candidate makes a minimum GP A of 4.00 or above he/she may apply for the Ph.D.
- Doctorate Degree
- Graduates of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Enugu or of other recognized Universities, who have obtained the degree of master appropriate for the proposed area of study, with a minimum of 4.00-grade point average on a 5-point scale (or 3.00 grade point average on a 4-point scale), provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the degree.
- Candidates with the degree of professional Master may quality for admission provided that they satisfy (i) above, and that project report/dissertation formed part of the requirements for the award of the degree.
- Demonstrated evidence of completed academic research will be an advantage.
- Admission for Masters/Ph.D
- A candidate with first class honours in the Bachelors degree from a recognized University may be admitted into a Masters/Ph.D. programme. The candidate so admitted into a Masters/Ph.D. programme, has two options-first and preferably, he could complete the Master's degree programme and proceed straight to the Ph.D. programme if he passes at Master's degree with 4.00 GPA and above. Second, the candidate's general performance in the course work and research could be evaluated
- After the first two semesters of being on the Master's Ph.D programme. If the candidate makes a GP A of 4.00 and above in the coursework and shows sufficient ability to tackle research work at Ph.D. level, Senate, on the recommendations of the Departmental and Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committee and the Board of the school may approve that the candidate proceeds to the Ph.D programme without fully completing the Master's programme.
- A candidate with Master's degree from Enugu State University of Science and Technology, or any other recognized University, whose GPA is below 4.00 shall not qualify for admission into the Master's Ph.D. or Ph.D. programme. Such a candidate may be admitted into another Master's programme to enable him to qualify for Ph.D. admission.
- A candidate with Master's degree at 4.00 GPA or above in a professional discipline may qualify for Ph.D admission provided the professional Master's degree contains project report or dissertation. Where the professional Master's degree was obtained through comprehensive course-work, the holder may be admitted into Master's/Ph.D. programme. The candidate so admitted will be required to write an examinable project/dissertation during the first two semesters of his study and obtain at least a grade of "B" before he/she can be allowed to proceed to the Ph.D. programme .
- Where a candidate did the degree of Master by comprehensive research and passed at a "B"/4.00 average levels, the candidate shall be admitted for Master's/Ph.D. programme. To make up the course - work deficiency in the earlier programme, the candidate shall successfully complete a Master's course - work with the pass level being not less than a "B" average.